How your browser can peep into ssl traffic?



I was trying to find the crypto keys used by my browser and a web server used ssl traffic. Browsing the Internet resulted a very good whitepaper related to TLS/SSL.

Then  I thought to give a try on it to check is it really feasible what it claims .To my wonder all you have to do is just ask your browser and it will let out all the secret it holds.

To read all secrets all you need now a network sniffer, I used “Wireshark” for this part.

So here we goes with steps
·        Just set up an user environment variable in your system (Hope that is really easy how to set up environment variables) SSLKEYLOGFILE (below given screenshot of sslkeylogfile of my system)

 
·        Opening the file browser will write the values used to generate TLS session keys out to that file.  


·        Now Point your Wireshark to the file stated aboveSelect Edit -> Preferences -> Protocols -> SSL  and then OK
 

·   Then I browse to a site using ssl/Tls https://wepay.com and sniff the traffic, see the traffic status(in un-encrypted form)
 
 


So for pentestor one might try setting be on the lookout for an SSLKEYLOG variable on your target.


 
SHARE
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
  • Image
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment